US and EU laws provide certain protection for direct debit users in both jurisdictions.
For direct debits In Europe, you have the right to instruct Denizen to:
- Request the refund of a direct debit if certain conditions are met. More info is available here: Can I request the refund of a direct debit payment?
- Limit a direct debit collection to a certain amount, frequency, or both.
- Where a direct debit agreement does not provide the right to a refund, you can request that we verify each transaction prior to making the payment to ensure that the amount and timing matches your authorization.
- Block any direct debits to the payer’s payment account or to block or authorize direct debits initiated by one or more specified payees;
For direct debits in the US, you have the right to:
- Raise a dispute to Denizen if you didn’t authorize the direct debit, or if it was processed on a different date, or for a different amount than authorized.
- Stop a third party from taking automatic payments from your account, even if you previously allowed them, by sending us a “revoke authorization letter” or a “stop payment order”.
Be aware that blocking / limiting your automatic payment does not cancel your contract with the company. If you want to cancel a contracted service, like cable or a gym, be sure to cancel your contract with the company and request them to stop automatic payments. If you cancel an automatic payment on a loan, you are still obligated to make payments on that loan.